Saturday, October 23, 2010

Today is October 23rd @ 2.12pm.  I leave tomorrow evening and I am so sad!!  So much has happened while I have been here and I can't wait to share with everyone when I get home.  I have some amazing pictures to upload!!  Once a month BCI hosts an activity day at one of the partner churches, and it was today.  All of the BCI kids and siblings come out for a time of worship, games, arts and crafts, and a feeding program.  Yesterday, Cecilia and I pooled our money and bought 26 pairs of shoes for kids that desperately needed them.  26 pairs of shoes cost us around $185!!!  We handed out the shoes today at activity day.  It hurt me to not have shoes for everyone but I know that I can only do so much.
 
Yesterday, I went to visit Betselote and Efrata's home.  They live with their aunt because both of their parents died.  I was so touch by the sacrifices that the aunt has made for her family.  This woman has never married or had children of her own, but she is taking care of her four nieces.  Two of her sister's died and she has selflessly taken in all four children to care for them.  Her other sister, who is much younger, also moved in to attend the university.  So this lady is taking care of 5 girls.  I was amazed by this precious lady but then I found out that she runs a ministry at her church where she meets the needs for her church members.  This lady goes around the church and finds out the needs of her congregation and then prays, buys stuff, and raises funds to meet all of these needs.
 
While I was at the house I was noticing that the ceiling is in horrible condition.  There are watermarks everywhere and some holes where the water just leaks through.  The living room and dining room are really bad but when I went into the girls' bedroom I couldn't believe what I saw.  First of all, the ceiling in there is worse then in the living room and dining room.  But what concerns me most of all, is that right above the girls' pillows is a hole.  I'm not talking about a hole in the ceiling, I'm talking I saw daylight when I looked up there.  Also, two of the girls share a bed and there is no mattress. 
 
I was so touch by this woman's generous spirit and how she cares for everyone else that God has lead me to meet her needs.  I asked her what she needs for her family and she was so humble that she didn't want to request anything.  But she finally said that if I could fix her roof she would be forever grateful.
 
I am going to fix that woman's roof.  As we were walking out of the house, I asked Getu the social worker to get a contractor out to the house to give me an estimate. The contractor came out the same day and I received the estimate today. 
 
My goal is to raise $1000 for this precious lady and her family.  The estimate for the roof is approx $800.  This includes the roof, ceiling, replacing warped cross beams, materials, and labor.  The house is probably 1200sq ft.  I am asking for everyone to pray about this family and if God so leads you, to donate money for the roof.  I know that everyone can not give money, but I know that everyone can pray.  Please pray that God would meet this precious woman's need.

No comments:

Post a Comment